From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 06:42:52 -1000
Formic acid ?  Here is the right stuff

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:02:28 -0400 (EDT)
>To: Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Formic Acid
>
>Dear Mr. Patton<
>
>Formic acid is caustic and should be handled with care.
>It is my understanding that burns from formic acid do
>cause pain, the problem is that the injury is so rapid
>that by the time you feel the pain the damage may have
>been done.  Because formic acid is hazardous, exposure
>limits have been established by OSHA for worker safety.
>According to the information I have the time-weighted-
>average is 5ppm.
>
>Individuals differ in their ability to detect formic acid
>but no one should rely on odor.  Respirators, chemical
>resistant gloves, safety goggles, and other protective
>equipment must be worn when handling formic acid.
>
>Research in Europe and North America has shown that
>formic acid is effective against the both Varroa and the
>tracheal mite.  I believe the first label submitted to
>EPA will be only for the control of the tracheal mite.
>
>I am told that, some queen losses have been reported by
>users of formic acid.  However, the same sources tell me
>that, with experience, users soon learn how and when to
>use formic acid.
>
>Will see you in Kona if you have further questions.
>
>H.  Shimanuki

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm