Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:24:51 -0400, Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Same thing has been bothering me. The team should know the number of
>colonies that collapsed from the data they have collected. From that
>they have the number that were probably mites or other causes; the
>number that show CCD symptoms; and the number that do not fit anything,
>if there are such colonies.

When I worked in an R&D lab for 3M company I routinely saw different goals of the different 
participants. 

We had the science which backed up our product development, we also had the version of our 
Science presented by the lab Politicians to upper mgnt in order to maintain funding of our lab. 
Sometimes the spread in the story was straining relationships within the lab. 

I see a similarity here, I would not expect the CCD "team" to be releasing the statistics before the 
federal funding picture is more clear, then there is that sticky question of maintaining that funding 
or  providing reports to the "funders" So just as in the corporate lab some of the Scientist are also 
required to wear the Politician hat to interact with the funders. These Bee Politicians also include 
the ABF and AHPA who have a real vested interest in the outcomes of the funding (kinda like the 
Marketing Dept at a big company) . If "related" losses need to be shifted to the CCD column, 
whatever, if it helps massage the funding story. 

We also have the Science which is work in progress and also includes related work from around 
the world. Those removed from the "Politics" would be most free to pursue the Science they wish 
and give pure data to the rest of the bee world to interpret free of the Politics and personal goals.  

Finally we have the Keepers on the ground who are either dealing with CCD or wondering what the 
heck is going on and why all the fuss...at least we have one good measure of the industry and its 
hard for any of the players in all of this to mess with the reality of package and queen availability 
and the price of almond pollination. The market determines these factors and does not care who 
is saying what, its pure supply and demand oriented although the rumor mill can temporarily 
affect the markets during times when little supply data is available (late fall & winter). 

To all the beekeepers worried about CCD, I would say use these measures to "filter" the wide 
range of reports you hear from the pelthora of sources. 

I forgot to mention the media, thats something we did not have in our R&amp;D lab to contend with. In 
this circumstance the media is collecting Missing Bee information form all 3 of the players, the Bee 
Policitians, The Keepers and The Scientists.  Sometimes their choice of sources biases the story in 
one way or the other, sometimes one of the players gets his/her message out in print/video. 
Sometimes a fringe player is interviewed and we get stories of bees becoming extinct from GMO's 
or EMF signals. 

As the downward trend in the supply of bees dwindles, I predict a new more visible world for the 
Bees, The Science, The Bee Politicians and The Keepers.  The spread in "reality" (# of missing bees) 
may vary over time, bee sure and use the market filters to help make sense of the information and 
guide you in your beekeeping. 

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2