From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:29:05 -0800
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:I'm wondering why you couldn't (or why it wouldn't be practical to) use
your established hives to strengthen your nucs instead of going the other way around and using the queens from your nucs to requeen your establish hives.

Mike, I especially wonder what you think.

As there are several Mike's on the list I'm not sure to which you were referring.  However, seeing as how I am a Mike, I will respond as I see it.  I preface this with the postulate that I am not an expert in beekeeping.  However, I feel I have read and experienced quite a bit so will answer according to the insights that I might be able to share.

I have never thought of using established colonies to strengthen nucs instead of going the other way.  I think it is an innovative thought.  Others may have thought of it, and tried it, so may have their experiences to bring to the discussion.  Certainly, what you have proposed is a possibility.  At first glance, and without deep study, I can see little problems with the proposal other than what you have already brought up.  It would seem that certainly adding a frame of brood and adhering bees from an established colony to as many existing nucs as the colony could supply, adding foundation on the outside of the drawn frames to make up a ten frame colony and then feeding copiously to fill out those frames with food stores should be successful in the southern portion of the U.S.  In the north, you might have less success with that unless maybe you stacked two nuc boxes,one on top of the other, and got the supplemented nuc to fill the second nus body with food stores.  What
 do those of you up north think?  It would be a good way to go into the following spring with new queens too.

Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near historic lows - Refi $200k loan for only $660/ month - Click now for info