From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:42:25 -0500
Dean, I don't believe you ever responded to MY question.

> You have cited several studies that support your contention but you dismiss the overwhelmingly large number of studies that refute it. For example, how do you account for this statement by Ingemar Fries:

> It has been suggested that the cell size influences mite reproduction. However, if there is such an effect, it is small and of little practical value.

This statement is from a highly respected world renowned bee researcher who has in fact documented cases of varroa resistant bees. Researchers from Erickson to Fries have pointed to the need to understand the behavioral components of mite resistance and have given scant notice to mechanistic approaches. But in the end, their message is more than that:

> Only if we succeed to bridge the gap between bee scientists and apiculture will we achieve sustainable progress in the prevention of colony losses at a continental scale. *

So, you are welcome to dismiss the work of these dedicated professionals, and tout your own "interpretations" all you want, but I prefer to do more listening and less pontificating.

* SEE

Research strategies to improve honeybee health in Europe
Robin F.A. Moritz, Joachim de Miranda, Ingemar Fries, Yves Le Conte, Peter Neumann, Robert J. Paxton