From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 15:05:41 -0500
On 16 May 97 at 9:14, James C. King wrote: Introducing Virgin Queens

> cells because of rain.  The cells emerged in protectors in my incubator.
> The following day I introduced them directly to two frames nucs above
> division boards.  Acceptance appears poor.  I would appreciate any advice
> on introducing virgin queens.  thanks.

The introduction of virgin queens is one of the trickiest manipulations
for a keeper to perform.....consistently.
        Failures can often be traced to the ignoring of a 'Golden rule'. It is
simply "Like replaces Like" explanation:- If the hive is recently
de-queened and still has open brood and eggs, don't try to introduce a
virgin, you could introduce a laying queen, but not a virgin.
        The hive configuration has to be as Mother Nature intended virgins to be
in a hive, all sealed brood, after swarming is the ideal time, before
mating.
        One way that I use to introduce a virgin. Make up a nuc
even with eggs, when the emergency cells are ready to emerge, cut them
out, shake the bees up, when they roar run a virgin in the front door. The
bees are waiting for a virgin to emerge, and so will accept the new one
without question.
        Another way. Make up a nuc, wait 4 days, cut out emergency cells, now
introduce a virgin in a cage, the bees will eat her out.
        One more. Make up a nuc, make absolutely certain there is no open brood,
eggs or larvae, wait 24 hours, spray the bees and new queen with sugar
syrup flavoured with one of the strong food flavourings, vanilla, etc. The
bees are so busy cleaning up that they accept the virgin easily.
        Of course the very best way is for the virgin to emerge within the nuc.
But even here troubles can arise. If the bees are not queenless for any
length of time they will sometimes break down the cell, then the ideal way
is to use a cell protector every time and play safe, as they never kill
an emerged virgin. It never ceases to amaze me how many keepers use
unprotected cells, just to save 10cents on cell protectors.
        In this case perhaps the author should have got his umbrella out and
prevented all his problems.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks