From:
Ghislain De Roeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:53:36 +0200
> Ghislain, you should be in a good position to comment on the fact that
Belgium stood out in that study as the worst place in Europe for honeybee
survival in 2012-13.

Good questions, Gavin, tough answers!

First of all, there is a south-north geographical pattern. Not only Belgium
(33,6%) is severely affected, but also Denmark (20,2%), Estonia (23,4%),
Finland (23,3%), Sweden (28,7%) and the United Kingdom (28,8%).
As you mentioned, Belgium was very badly affected by a long, cold winter,
but so where other countries as Germany (13,6%) for example. So, there must
be another reason. Was it the coincidence of the beekeepers choice made (149
out of about 10.000)? Was it the late start of the surveillance programme
here (hives must be opened mid-October) when the weather was too cold? It is
well known that cold weather and DWV together can kill colonies.
I cannot believe there is a huge lack of pollen in autumn at a large scale.
With regards to the neonicotinoids, here they play a minor role in my
opinion (corn is very little treated with neonicotinoids, but with Mesurol -
methiocarb). I don't want to restart a debate on pesticides, but do you know
that the survey didn't even test their effect on mortality !!!
You also have to know that Belgium is a small honeybee country with no
really professional beekeepers. It is certain that some of them treat varroa
too late and with inadequate medication. But what does this means for the
all country? No idea. And so, the coincidence of the sampling comes in sight
again.
With regard to American foulbrood, the affected colonies here are burned,
antibiotic treatment is prohibited. That explains to me the low level of
disease.

Here you can find the complete report:
http://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/live_animals/bees/docs/bee-report_en.pdf.

Kind regards,