From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:24:28 +1300
Date sent:              Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:50:39 -0500
Send reply to:          Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
From:                   Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Killing spores in wax and honey
To:                     [log in to unmask]

For those that are interested I have compiled a list of references
and their abstracts at :

        www.airborne.co.nz/botulism.html

There is also a link to a PDF version of this compilation.  I would be
happy to add any references I have missed.

Major points in all this...

o       US is the country with greatest no. of *recorded* cases.
o       US has recorded highest rate per capita.
o       Geographical location is *highly* important.
o       Breast feeding strongly linked to occurance of Infant Botulism.
o       Breast fed babies recover faster.
o       Death rate is approx 4% of cases.

My interpretation of the material is that honey has been unfairly
singled out, but it has now passed into urban myth territory from
where we cannot retrieve it.  However we do have to be on our
guard as evidenced by a recent press release from Ministry of
Health in New Zealand.  This was pointing out that honey should
not be fed to infants in NZ - when :

1. NZ has the highest per capita honey consumption in the World
2. There has never been a recorded instance of Infant Botulism.

More disturbing in this case was the appaling lack of understanding
of the officials involved in this case.  They believed that the warning
they were giving was due to the risk of Botulism poisoning
(associated with canned/preserved foods) from honey.

Most health proffessionals do not have time to review the literature
and pick up the party line.  Misunderstandings as the one above
have to be constantly rebutted.

Regards,
Peter Bray

Airborne Honey Ltd., PO Box 28, Leeston, New Zealand
Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569
www.airborne.co.nz
We Accept MS Word 2.0 Files, Excel 4.0, Corel Draw 8.0, *.BMP,
 *.JPG, *.GIF *.TIF, *.PCX