From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:31:24 -0500

> I've got an article of my most recent test of MAQS coming out in ABJ, with
> photo of the brood kill.  It is variable from hive to hive, dependent upon
> ventilation, and apparently some innate difference in bee response to
> formic
> that varies from hive to hive.

I was taught (and found true) as far as dose (using pads) was to take 6
hives all similar and apply several different doses of 65% formic. If you do
not see any brood kill your dose is too low as a slight brood kill is an
indicator of the correct dose (mitegone Bill R,)

Once the correct dose(pad size) is figured out then all the hives are given
the decided upon dose level which may be different than even a month before
or the dose next fall.

Bill explains the above on his Mitegone website.

A larger brood kill then the dose is too strong and less pad is needed.

Bill R. will be the first to say the correct number of pads (filled with
formic) for Bob might not be the same for a beekeeper in the deep south
*and* may need adjusting according to the weather.

The fact that Randy is seeing some brood kill is encouraging to me. Thanks
for the post Randy!

In this case *in my opinion* some brood kill is good!

Formic acid is formic acid and it works on varroa the same way despite the
application.

When all things are right you get a decent varroa kill. When the temperature
does not cooperate or dose level is too low you can get a poor varroa kill
(personal experience before)

Hopefully the MAQS will work as advertised.

I am skeptical but hopeful.

bob