From:
Janko Bozic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:12:44 +0000
There were several messages posted on Bee-L about Carniolans. I'd
like to explain origin of the name. I believe that most of the
beekeepers in the world don't know why beekeepers in around the world
name Apis mellifera carnica Poll. Carniolan Bee.
      Germans and other german speaking beekeepers call this bee with
latin name Carnica, but in english speaking beekeepers Carniolans.
Why ? Hundred years ago and more Carniolan beekepers started with
modern trade of bees over seas. It lasted in the middle of this
century. Who are this Carniolan beekeepers?  Most of you know that
carniolans were exported from Austria-Hungarian Empire before WWI,
Later (after 1918) that was from Austria and Yugoslavia. The most
developed trade of Carniolan bees was from the the county called
Carniola. Two of very known beekepers were Strgar and Ambrozic. At
that time this county was part of Austria, latter part of Yugoslavia
and after split of Yugoslavia, the whole county Carniola is part of
Slovenia. In fact, the largest part of our country is Carniola and
synonym for Slovenians is also Carniolans.
         Beekeeping in Slovenia is very well developed. We have also
several queen breeders. Many 1000 queens are also exported across
the Europe each year. Even we are small country with small beekeeping
population we believe that queen breeding is prospective for our
country since we are keeping bees in authentic carniolan region which
enables our ancestors to breed very popular bees for export over
seas.
         If there is anyone interesting to get some more information,
please contact me. If you have some questions about queen breeding
program in Slovinia, you can contact also Dr. Janez Poklukar at
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

          With regards,

              Janko Bozic
Dr. Janko Bozic
University of Ljubljana
Biotechnical Faculty, Department of Biology
Vecna pot 111, p.p. 2995
1001 Ljubljana
SLOVENIA
tel. (386) 61-265-584, (386) 61-265-585