From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:00:20 -0700
>Amazing that they are applied DURING BLOOM! Yes, that was a yell. Knowing

> that there are pesticides (insect growth inhibitor) in the fungicide is
> criminal. I am amazed that commercial pollinators accept this practice.

Bill, spraying of almond bloom with fungicides is critical in Northern
Calif; not so in the drier south Valley, but still widely practiced their
due to ignorance or insurance against risk.

Beekeepers ask growers to spray only at night, but simply not possible for
many, or they don't want to have evening television interrupted.

Until our investigation last spring, none of us had any idea that IGRs
(insecticides) were being sprayed on bloom!

It is still to early to confirm that they are the cause of the observed bee
mortality this season, especially in light of reports that sales of the
product were way off this spring due to grower concern due to announcements
by PAm and the almond board.

Something caused unusual bee kill this season.  A number of us are working
to figure out what it was.  Thank gawd that neonics aren't used on almonds,
since many want to blame them for every bee malady imaginable!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA