From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 06:52:22 -0800
>As I said previously, the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) is
following their governing rules.

Medhat, I was not complaining about the rules.  I was responding to a claim
that Bayer was denying that their product caused the problem.  My point was
that they could hardly deny if they haven't been party to the investigation.

>Is the clothianidin being blown into the air by the planter and thus
adversely affecting the bees in area at the time of planting?

Yes, this discussion could be much more informed if all would take the time
to read my summaries of the neonic issues at:
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/neonicotinoids-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-science/
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/neonicotinoids-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-science-part-2/
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-extinction-of-the-honey-bee/

>A Bayer rep spoke and, although he probably felt like a christian in a
lion's den, did mention varroa, nosema and beekeeper applied mitecides.

I've heard most of the Bayer reps speak.  In my experience, they referred
to the parasites and miticides in context of general colony mortality, not
with respect to acute pesticide kills, such as from planting dust or foliar
applications.  My assessment is that they are not stupid.  Indeed, if they
have an arcane beekeeping question, they seek answers from knowledgeable
beekeepers and researchers.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA