Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 08:16:13 -0600
> That's an interesting hypothesis and one that should be fairly easy to
> test.  Many beekeepers I know add vinegar to their syrup to inhibit
> spoilage.

In the past we have discussed the addition of cream of tartar to syrup and
the effects of acids on sucrose syrup.  Although apparently acids work to
invert the sugar, acids also raise the HMF, so many of us avoid adding acids
to syrup.

I don't think we ever resolved this question since no one with sufficient
knowledge of chemistry was involved.  Maybe someone with the background to
assess this can comment?