From:
ANDY NACHBAUR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 22:55:00 GMT
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pest/disease free bees...

 +-------------------------------+
###From: [log in to unmask]
###Date:         Sun, 20 Feb 1994 07:58:00 +1300
###
###BEES AND QUEENS FROM NEW ZEALAND?
###
###I would be interested to hear some opinions as to why we have
###found it so difficult to negotiate access to the US for our bees.
###Interesting that the historical reason came from back in 1922, when
###the US was afraid of importing Acarine.  Kind of difficult to
###maintain that justification, eh?
###
###I'd also be interested to hear reasons that the border SHOULD be
###opened - what sort of support does exist?  IS there a market for
###bees and queens that have a PROVEN quality?
###
###---------------------------------------------------
###          Nick Wallingford
### (Tauranga, on the east coast of the North Island
###  of New Zealand - kiwifruit pollination centre of
###  New Zealand and the world!)
 +-------------------------------+

  Hi Nick,

    I see no advantage in buying queens or bees from any area
that is "disease free", if you are going to maintain those bees in
an area that is not "disease free".

In my opinion its better to buy proven stock that co exists with the
pests, diseases, and parasites in the area one hopes to keep the bees.
We have all the problems and are on the continual watch for more here
in California. Stock that interests us comes from areas of the world
that also has these same problems and succeeds in spite of them. Our
priorities are reversed, what you are see as an advantage may be a
better reason not to buy. We do expect the bees and queens we buy to be
healthy when we get them, not necessarily from a "disease free" area.
But then we are only the ones who are spending the money...

    The question of open boarders is a political question driven
by economics and little science. Check your own regulations before
pot shotting at ours.

    A few short years ago several northern California beekeepers on
hearing of the finding of a "mite" in the southern states bees spent a
lot of time at Canadian meeting hyping the disastrous effects of this
pest on Canadian beekeepers if it were allowed to enter Canada. They
picked up a lot of business for their "disease free" bees. A short time
later the very same pests were found in their own bees, the boarder
closed on them and never has reopened.

    The fact is that in the United States we have a surplus of queen
production and are able to supply the market with bees that we know what
the problems are. We don't have any idea on what your problems are other
then you would like to have part of our market and say your country
is "disease free". This is at odds to what your beekeepers tell us
when they come to visit, work and learn?

    If you really want to see the boarder opened to queens from your
country, cut the BS about "disease free", we have heard it before, we
may have invented it. Show us how you can deliver healthy queens and
bees at competitive prices when we need them and we may show you some
interest in opening the boarder.
                 __         __     ttul Andy-
                \   \(O O)/   /      Wild Bee's BBS
                 \   \\_//   //-->>  BEENET.COM