From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:07:32 -0500
On 24-Nov-07, at 2:05 AM, Steve Noble wrote:

>      It may have been done, or it may be worth doing, an analysis
> of what
> has been saved over what may have been lost by this approach.
> Questions
> that would need to be answered include how many seasons free of the
> various
> pests have been gained, what are the additional costs associated with
> having to deal with each pest or, perhaps more realistically, the
> incremental accumulation of pests.  What costs have been incurred in
> enforcement?  Was there or would there have been interest on the
> part of
> some Alabama beekeepers in moving hives out of and back into the
> state for
> pollination or to gain additional honey crops, and if so what kind of
> income might this activity have brought into the state?

Hi Steve Bob and all

Coming from Canada makes me an expert on putting decisions off until
we have all the facts.  This qualification allows me to say: "do it
now before its too late then change it later if the decision needs
tweeking".  If all the surrounding states and the feds are reminded
of the effectiveness of closures, even for a short time, they might
get the idea and act.  Bob says that Alabama has delayed several
problems, some for years.  Canada had a closed border for many years
(Jim really liked it!!!!) to all honey bees from the mainland USA
initially because of TM but extended because of varroa etc.  Some
areas in Canada still don't have Varroa.  We have not found SHB yet
in Ontario even though varroa and TM came across the border fairly
quickly.  The border is still closed to bees on comb but queens are
allowed.  NZ and Oz are experts on introduced pests and are now
enforcing strict restrictions on importation of agricultural
products.  I have previously said, on this list, how impressed I was
with the knowledge of the customs officials in NZ when we visited.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W