From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:36:15 EST
In a message dated 99-02-16 10:30:37 EST, [log in to unmask]
(thiele.consult) writes:

 <<> opinion that honeybees are getting weaker and weaker?

 because you can see it when you look at honeybees where artificial breeding
 methods (artificial insemination, artificial queenbreeding, using the larvae
of
 worker bees) are the standard. >>

     I am in partial agreement with you. The honeybees are getting weaker, but
this is happening in all of earth's life, and the breeding efforts have
actually helped to counteract this.

    We have increasing levels of ultraviolet, and there is more and more
ozone, industrial pollutants, dust, acid rain, and pesticides in our
environment. This cannot help but weaken immune systems for all living
creatures.

    I share the concern of the organic folks with the toxic residues that are
found in our food and the bees' food. If you go through the government
paperwork for pesticide registrations, you find that there are legally
allowable levels of most chemicals that are used in crop production. The
studies of all of these (to establish permissible levels) are short term, and
do not take into account the synergistic effect of long term exposure to
multiple toxins.

    Many of the old fruit growers who used lead arsenate had health problems
from it. Some had obvious lumps and festering sores on their bodies. The
materials used now are probably not as toxic as lead arsenate, but who knows
what the effect will be of 40-50 years of exposure?

    I used a lot of chemicals in my younger years working in orchards and
other farming. I was always impressed by the fact that when I handled
chemicals, no matter how well I suited up, used face masks or resirators, etc,
I would have a bitter taste in my mouth. Somehow, some of it got through.

    I use pesticides, but I'll bet I'm one of the most careful users around.
It makes me shudder when I see illiterate workers using toxic materials and
cannot even read the labels.

   So I hear you organic folks loud and clear, when you are talking toxic
residues. I wish I knew of ways to stop using these chemicals. Unfortunately I
am only one person, with limited influence on others, and frankly, I cannot
even see how I can get along entirely without using some pesticides. I don't
want to share my living quarters with fleas, roaches and ants (they can be
quite detrimental to my health, too), and I hate to see my dog suffer from
fleas and other parasites.

    Likewise, my bees will die if I do not treat for varroa. When tracheal
mites came in, we had awesome losses. But some survived, and we bred back from
the survivors. I only treated for tracheal mites one year, and quickly dropped
this as a concern. I do give my bees a little help in the late winter with
vegetable oil, but that's about it as far as goes for tracheal mites. I don't
even check for tracheal mites anymore; I just don't breed from bees that are
obviously weak.

   But varroa was a different matter. I knew quite a few beekeepers who were
adamant that they would NEVER introduce a pesticide into the bees. Every last
one has either changed their tune, or they are EX-beekeepers. We did not have
ANY bees at all, that could survive this onslaught, and serve as breeders. We
hope for the possibilities of the Russian bees that were imported to introduce
varroa resistance.  The afro beetle may be a similar story.  We may have NO
resistance. Maybe we'll have to import the best afro bees the Brazillians have
been able to breed......

    The question of good breeding, and of sugar feeding is a totally different
issue, and personally I think they are irrelevant to the organic beekeeping
controversy. These are philosophical concerns, and technology and experience
point in the opposite direction.

    We have a religious sect here in Hemingway that is big on sustainable
agriculture. I support the concept, but I am amused at their approach. They
have a "model" or demonstration plot where they grow vegetables. They are some
of the sorriest I've ever seen. The cucumbers are knotty, the melons are small
and white-seeded, without any flavor, etc.  I've told them on several
occasions that they need bees; that they are not getting adequate pollination.

    They won't listen. They are so dominated by their philosophical concepts
that common sense has no place in their reasoning. I can point to the evidence
and show them exactly what is happening, but it is to no avail. They think
they are going to "attract" bees that simply aren't there......

    Ah, common sense. It's amazing how uncommon it is!

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm