Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:21:51 -0600
> If it is 100% pure, then .06% Thymol is about .6 ml per liter. The problem
> with that level of concentration is you do not know the long term effects
> as the study did not go beyond the larval stage.

OK.  A friend sent me this the other day and it seems timely, so here
goes...

--- begin quote ---

Yes, I use thymol crystals in all my sugar syrup.  This will be my 3 rd
year.  I have tried various dosages, up to one gram per gallon, usually .5
or 3/4 gram per gallon. Certainly think it helps with nosema and mite
levels, of course it is only legal for mould in syrup, I have done no
studies on thymol's affects on mites or nosema but my winter losses are
getting lower, only 7% THIS SPRING.

Mite counts taken last sept were less than 3% and mostly lower, we did have
to treat100 nuc's bought from BC in spring of 09, they were 5-10%

We also feed fumidil-B and from previous experience we were getting mixed
results with year to year comparisons, since the thymol we seem to be more
consistent results with wintering and spring build up.
and The Lebermuth Company, INC. http://www.lebermuth.com/

http://shop.lebermuth.com/crystals-p-thymol_crystals.php

I buy 10 lbs a a time another study below, this is maybe how it works, I am
definitely not a scientist only a beekeeper who wants healthy
bees.............maybe I am selecting for thymol resistant mites

--- end quote --

Did I post the abstract of sizeable Turkish three-year study using thymol,
fumagillin and controls ?

I think so.  The thymol colonies came out on top, with the controls
struggling and the drug in between -- as I recall.

I find all this confusing.