From:
Andrew Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2017 04:33:58 -0400
Does your BEEK association offer classes?  That is a good way both to
force feed the essentials and get some revenue for the club.

Be prepared though for new beekeepers to ignore much of what is taught them.

Your posting is a great, but, I want more.  How is joining the
association going to HELP make them a success?

I'm working on a tough love way to say "Successful beekeeping is tough
AND hard work.  There are really nasty parasites that will kill your
hive if you don't take action.  If you want to 'help the bees' but don't
want the work, make our area greener by planting for bees."

I looked through a Varroa dead out owned by one of last year's class -
they could/should not have missed the signs, and if they'd tested... I
was close to tears on the drive home.