From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:42:39 -0700
I agree with Kelly and Lucy, there are plenty of beekeepers with
"untreated" hives in my general area.   I have drawn some conclusions
from observing or from speaking to some beekeepers who keep untreated
bees.  Survivor bees in southern CA exhibit african-ish traits
(superseding or swarming, running on combs, and having small clusters)
but do not necessarily exhibit extreme defensiveness.  Survivor bees in
northern CA can be very gentle, and the hives exhibit traits similar to
the Russian bee.

I don't know of anyone with bees that are run commercial / migratory and
not treated occasionally.  There are just too many variations between
bee/mite behavior at different apiary locations, making it difficult to
have bees that do well in one place also do well in another.

--Jeremy Rose
San Luis Obispo, CA