From:
Bill Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 23:33:14 -0500
So, rendering Varroa extinct is being proposed.

Understand that I find Varroa to be as much of a problem as anyone else.  But
I see two problems with an effort to make Varroa extinct.

1)  Getting all the mites will take an enormous amount of effort, and short
of destroying every colony of Apis Melifera and Apis cerrana honey bees in
the world is probably beyond our current technical capability.

2)  When we hit 99.9% eradication, someone will put Varroa jacobsoni on an
Endagered Species list, thereby making it illegal to do anything that might
harm them.

No, I am afraid we will have to live with Varroa.   If a permanent cure
comes, it will probably be in the form of bees that can live with the mites.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD