From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 13:39:54 -0600
?
> we do not have a well established beekeeping industry particularly when we
> think on queens and packages for export. Therefore no one is actually
> pushing the government to open the USA market.

The big demand is for queens. Stopping the Aussie queens hurt beekeeping.
The package business less so. The package business was in trouble due to
pricing. When the exchange ratio changed driving the package price around
$30 a package higher *than when the import started *U.S. beekeepers started
looking around for another solution.

Strong single hives out of Florida ,loaded at around 700 hives per semi
(   as compared to the 380 hives per semi of heavy hives sent from the
Midwest) drawing the same almond pollination fee as these doubles
are filling the Aussie package void.

the Florida hives contain 10 newly drawn frames, top & bottom and are sent
on 6 way pallets chock full of emerging brood , pollen and honey. Comb which
has not had chemical mitacides used.

All for around $20 dollars higher (volume pricing from last month )than a
*last year * Aussie package of $130 per package U.S. (without the
installation labor and not grading as high as the singles).

My point is the exchange rate would need to be such as was at the time of
the first Aussie import to be competitive with the singles.

Queens are another matter. An opening exists for import queens in
Dec.,Jan.,Feb.& March in the U.S..
I have an investor friend which might be interested in starting such an
operation in Chile *if* he could be assured import into the states would
happen. He actually owns another queen rearing operation he started four
years ago in South America but efforts to gain access to the U.S. market
have failed of far.
He started the other operation *in my opinion* to supply Mexican beekeepers
if they should want to expand their hive numbers but we have never discussed
the whys of his investment. The operation is in an area of AHB bees.

bob