From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:48:31 -0500

>Without exception, every beehive I have seen in a tree or in a building has
>had the comb constructed below the entrance.  Once, in a dark barn, the comb
>was totally exposed and ran 10 feet below the entrance, and about 30" wide.

         The last removal I did was in an old stone school house. The
colony was located in the wooden addition. The sill had rotted out, and
exposed the space between the inner wall and the outer. The bees used this
opening as their entrance. The combs rose four feet to where there was
framing for a window. They completely filled one section between the studs,
and had started on another. This was the nicest removal...even with 10
people, young and old alike watching, no one was stung. The whole job took
about two hours from start to finish. The entrance was on the bottom
between the first and second section.

I posted some pics at: