From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:07:43 -0000
Chris asked:

> Does the Indian honey come from Apis mellifera or Apis cerana (or one or
> more of the other Indian species of honeybee).

Depends which part of India - mainly mellifera in North and cerana in the
South.  Honey from stingless bees (Trigona) is very highly valued (6 times
the price - it is 'Ayurvedic')), but there is so little that I doubt much
could be exported.

The EU ignores its own rather illogical definition - honey from cerana has
been imported for a long time.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk