From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:24:06 -0500
Regarding Amitraz, I realize many of us are experiencing chemical fatigue. Not another chemical! But really, in the big picture, amitraz is pretty benign. Certainly compared to Coumaphos

> Amitraz is a triazapentadiene compound, a member of the amidine chemical family. It is an insecticide and acaricide used to control red spider mites, leaf miners, scale insects, and aphids. On cotton it is used to control bollworms, white fly, and leaf worms. On animals it is used to control ticks, mites, lice and other animal pests.The EPA classifies Amitraz as Class III - slightly toxic. However, products containing it bear the SIGNAL WORD: CAUTION

Amitraz is slightly toxic to mammals if ingested orally
Amitraz is slightly toxic to birds.
Amitraz is moderately toxic to fish
Amitraz is relatively non-toxic to bees (5, 7). The LD50 is 12 micrograms per bee by ingestion and 3.6 mg/l by direct spraying (2).

Whereas:

Coumaphos is one of a class of pesticides referred to as organophosphates. These chemicals act by interfering with the activity of naturally-occurring enzymes called cholinesterases. Cholinesterases are essential for the proper working of the nervous systems in the bodies of both humans and insects. Persons who work with organo-phosphate materials for long periods of time should have frequent blood tests of their cholinesterase levels.

Coumaphos is highly toxic by inhalation and ingestion, and moderately toxic by dermal absorption (19). As with all organophosphates, coumaphos is readily absorbed through the skin.

Coumaphos is highly toxic to birds

SOURCE

E  X  T  O  X  N  E  T
Extension Toxicology Network
A Pesticide Information Project of Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University, Michigan State University, Oregon State University, and University of California at Davis. Major support and funding was provided by the USDA/Extension Service/National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program.