Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
--- On Fri, 5/29/09, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> B: It got in under the fence crawling
> thru a hollow where the wire was 20" high

Dave, 
The bear probably got a little shock through the pelt but not enough to deter.  You can’t let that bear learning that it can defeat your fence because little bears grow into bigger bears and bigger problems. I would place some bacon grease on the fence so it gets a good shock to the nose.

> There is a dink beside a deadout
> The deadout was knocked over
> but the dink had only the inner
> & outer cover flipped off
> The pad was still there sitting
> on top of the frames

Smaller bears will test each colony and find the one that stings least.  But as they grow more courageous and confident, they will move to destroying the stronger colonies. 

If the link works, here you can see that even larger bears need time to build the courage.  Perhaps not seen in the video, the bear was drooling profusely from the mouth which is not in anticipation of a sweet meal, but in bears, a sign of fear.  So apparently, he is well aware of the punishment he is about to experience. 
http://www.sharkle.com/video/100046/

Here in PA the game commission has a great system for handeling problem bears, what they do is to transport problem bears out of the suburbs of Pittsburgh into the ridge where I live on so they can become our problem.  I have all my hives moved off the ridge due to this years big problem bear that destroyed several hives this season and 6 bee trees slated for cutout.  You cant fence everything in against a bear, they destroy comb in my truck and anything else that is not fenced in, and they are constantly testing the fence.  But I am moving the ridge apiary to 50 yards from the house where my .35 will settle the problem.  The PA Game Commission has forced this issue on us, and shooting these bears is now the only way to solve the problem.  I know what your gonna say, you shoot that one, another will come by,,, well I’ll shoot that one too.  PA has a law that you can kill bears in the act of destroying property, then you must report the kill withen 24
 hours so they can come get their dead bear. 

Joe

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned 
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2