From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:10:24 -0500
Anger of bees.
I confess I do not like the term “anger,” when applied to bees, and it almost makes me angry when I hear people speak of their being ''mad,'' as if they were always in a towering rage, and delight in inflicting exquisite pain on everything and everybody coming near them. Bees are, on the contrary, the pleasantest, most sociable, genial and good natured little fellows one meets in all animated creation, when one understands them. Why, we can tear their beautiful comb all to bits right before their very eyes, and, without a particle of resentment, but with all the patience in the world, they will at once set to work to repair it, and that, too, without a word of remonstrance. If you pinch them, they will sting, and any body that has energy enough to take care of himself, would I do as much had he the weapon.  A.I. Root, 1882.