From:
Melinda Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2015 15:03:07 -0700
Overall, it seems to me, the better long term choice would be to start fresh with a package (unless perhaps you are working with someone reputable like Randy).
Even if it is slightly more confusing for a new beekeeper, it really isn't that difficult to start a colony with a package and there are plenty of places to find simple step-by-step instructions and videos.

With a month or so of nutritional support (1:1 sugar syrup and pollen) to get started, bees quickly draw fresh comb and the Queen starts laying eggs.

Seems that simple process would be preferable in the long run.  The challenges of identifying and managing health issues, while raising new brood in old comb contaminated with pesticides and perhaps lingering diseases or pests seems more complicated.

Here is a bit more to consider.

- Comb is Contaminated:
The extensive study done in 2007-2008 by Christopher A. Mullin clearly showed 98% of comb and wax samples were contaminated with pesticides, primarily (over 83%) were the miticides Fluvalinate and Coumaphos (Apistan), amitraz and chlorothalonil, a fungicide with a LD50 of 1,100,000 ppb (with no label warning not to use when bees are present).

100% of the 21 samples of new wax foundation were found to have an average of 5.7 pesticides, primarily the Miticides.

Christopher A. Mullin, High Levels of Miticides and Agrochemicals in North American Apiaries: Implications for Honey Bee Health, (March 2010)

- Contaminated Comb Adversely Effects Honey Bee Health:
A recent study by Judy Wu show an increased susceptibility to Nosema for brood reared in pesticide contaminated comb.

Highlights
► We examined the effects of pesticide residue exposure during development on adult honey bees. ► Nosema ceranae infections were higher in adult bees reared in high pesticide residue brood combs. ► N. ceranae infection occurred at a younger age in adult bees reared in high residue brood combs. ► Pesticide residues in managed bee operations may contribute to Nosema infection and colony loss.

Honey Bees (Apis mellifera) Reared in Brood Combs Containing High Levels of Pesticide Residues Exhibit Increased Susceptibility to Nosema (Microsporidia) Infection.
Judy Y. WuMatthew D. SmartCarol M. AnelliWalter S. Sheppard
Department of Entomology, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-6382, USA

-Pollen Shown to Increase Pesticide Tolerance.
Another study, by Daniel R. Schmehl, regarding gene expression after pesticide exposure included an interesting finding. A high quality, pollen-based diet reduces sensitivity to chlorpyrifos (an organochlorine with a ND50 of 1220, found in 63.2% of Mullin's wax samples).

Highlights
Pesticides alter expression of detoxification, behavior, immunity, and nutrition genes.
Pesticide exposure reduced levels of methyl farnesoate, a JH III precursor.
Pesticide exposure and pollen feeding alter expression of common sets of genes.
Pesticide tolerance is increased when pollen is consumed.

Genomic analysis of the interaction between pesticide exposure and nutrition in honey bees (Apis mellifera)
Daniel R. Schmehl Peter E.A. TealJames L. FrazierChristina M. Grozinger (December 2014)

Personal Experience with Both Nucs and Packages.
Our first year keeping bees we received three deeps with 10 frames, 4 of bees, 1 honey, 2 brood and a Queen.  Never saw the queens, were surprised to see that the frames were dark (branded with Mendez) the wax was dark, one colony dwindled and requeened in August, the other two died over winter . . . easy yes, successful?

Now we get packages from a local breeder (or split our own colonies).  I love seeing the queen and putting in her sugar cap and pressing her between frames.  We start them with 10 frames.  The (2) center frames have empty drawn comb with some pollen, flanked by (2) frames of honey . . . all frames come from our healthy hives and are stored in the freezer over winter.

We released our 2015 package queens on March 29th and now, 35 days later they are exploding with bees.

As of last Friday, we had 6 covered brood frames with honey and pollen and all 10 had some drawn comb.  We added another deep, all new equipment, fewer worries, stronger colonies.

Knowing what we know now, I would have preferred the advice to start from scratch.

MStewart