Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 17:36:41 GMT+0200
Hi Rune and All

I am sorry to hear about your cat.

I doubt your cat would have been attacked by bees. Interestingly,
cats seem not to make bees cross. As an experiment, hold a ball of
dogs hair in front of a hive - it will be stung. Same for a feather.
Not for a cat. I have had hives go wild once or twice and cats nearby
were not affected, but donkeys, cows and sheep/humans further away
were seriously stung. My cat sleeps on top of one of my big double
brood nest hives in winter as it is warm.

You question whether the cat could have had an ellergic reaction and
mention it was 16 weeks old. A cat's immune system is complete after
about 4 to five weeks of age. At this point it can begin to have an
allergic reaction. If it were stung then, followed by another sting/s
two weeks later and then a final sting on the bad day it could have
died from an allergic reaction, but this process is highly unlikely
as cats are very intelligent and learn fast that bees hurt (unlike
dogs which bite bees because they hurt).

My geuss is, if a bee did kill your cat, it is because it swallowed
one and it's throat swelled shut.

This does happen.

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)