From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:27:43 -0600
> My practice is to wash out the extractor and uncapping tray if they are
> going to sit idle for more than a day or so.
>
> I have found that in the humid summer Maryland climate, honey will absorb
> moisture and ferment surprisingly quickly if it is left with a lot of
> open surface.

Good point.

We're in a very dry area.  We do cover everything with plastic when not in
use, but humidity can cause real problems with galvanized equipment if it
is high, since honey will draw moisture and ferment, then turn to vinegar.

Vinegar, being an acid will remove the galvanizing or lift metals from the
solder.  Of course any such occurrence would mean that the outfit would
have to be washed anyhow, so if in doubt, washing the system if more than
a few days pass between extractions could be a good practice.

Nonetheless some beekeepers do not wash their extracting line at all at
the end of the season, but rather right before beginning extracting if
they are confident that the storage area is dry.  They claim the honey
protects the metal.

> I also have come to fetch my not-yet-cleaned uncapping tray and found in
> the honey a candied mouse.  That taught me to clean up after each day's
> extracting.

Hmm.  We're not permitted to have mice in our honey house ;)

Allen