Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:31:14 +1300
Coffee crystals are simply large crystals of refined sugar with added
artificial colouring to make them look like raw sugar. That a con/fraud if
ever there was one.

When 'flavours' are added to products you are emulating the fraud and
downgrading the value of 'natural' honey. 'Natural' is your major point of
difference because refined sugar/corn syrup with 'flavour' can be made  to
look and taste like anything. Maple syrup is good for you. It has anti
oxidants, minerals, etc. refined sugar and corn syrup with maple flavour
might pass the 'pocket test' ($) and the 'Taste test" but does it add value
to well being? Me thinks not.

I was at an expo last week and they had herb flavoured honeys produced by
bees collecting nectar from real herbs. Low volume, but very high margin.

For an industry you have to think big because you have heaps of bulk honey
to sell. For individual honey producers the smart money is on thinking
small/niche -- that where the big margins are.

I did an economic impact report for the NZ bee industry recently (bee
products sold as dietary supplements.) what blew me away was how much bee
product including honey and bee pollen is sold through low networks, 'flea'
markets, Saturday stalls, gate sales, etc.

If the Maple 'flavour' is from the maple tree great -- otherwise...

Ron Law