From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:49:44 -0400
Mr. Borst Wrote:

>After putting foundation on a hive, you can clearly see that they remove
wax
>from the bases of the cells, since they detect an excess of wax there.

Removing bits of wax for the construction of comb probably easily seen,
but the addition of compounds and flakes of wax produced or compounds
gathered by the bees for the construction of comb perhaps not so easily
seen.

The idea that sufficient materials exist in foundation for comb
construction AND the assumption that bees stretch the foundation to create
the entire network of comb I had question with.

“… Anyway, beekeeper
>experience is more important than a hundred studies, in the practical
>aspects of beekeeping.”

Peter, I love the above quote!  Good addition for the archives!

Perhaps a contradiction to what many small cell, organic and feral bee
advocates experience on this list.   Bet regardless,  I agree with you in
that facts given from experience are indeed as good as any study.  IMO the
fundamental ingredient by which all good discussion lists are created.

Reminds me of a wonderful quote by one of the beekeeping greats.
(Name dropping dropped from the quote as often requested) ;)

“Improved Bee Culture is our end and aim, and we trust no one will
hesitate to give any fact from experience.” (-.-.----)

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle
Derry, PA