Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:32:02 GMT
-- Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>The mechanisms which produce multiple
subfamilies in bee colonies have only just been identified, let alone
understood.

...are you saying that subfamilies are produced by something other than multiple drone matings?  if so, you have my attention...i'd like to hear more.

>It could be that everything we do and have done in the field of
bee breeding is wrong.

well, clearly a lot of what has been done is wrong (see randy quinn's talk from the 2008 organic conference..video on our website)...but all of it?  even letting survivor stock splits and supercedures raise their own queens and open mate?

my point though, was that separate from the honeybee genepool is the specific makeup of the microbial culture in a hive...and that passing this on from one generation to another may be just as (or even more) important than the honeybee genetics.

deknow

deknow