Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2013 14:32:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
>I think you are putting too much emphasis on the responsibility of the pest control operator and not enough on the home owner. 

I am always amazed when people report pest control operators simply say they do not do bees and have no answer for solving the problem for the home owners many times.

Others tell home owners they simply can not kill the bees as against the law. (outright lie).

We also have a pest control person which tries to report beekeepers using even a simple method like Pete said without a pest control license. 

>I advise them that there are three courses of action.

1) DIY. For less than ten bucks you can get a big can of non-toxic wasp and hornet killer (contains detergent, mint oil, etc). But they have to seal up the cavity, obviously, or the problem will recur.. 

I would not be very specific on the above and as a beekeeper perhaps more aware on legal matters than most find could be problematic. Sending a home owner to the hive entrance with a *big* can of non toxic wasp and hornet killer could result in a serious stinging incident. 

>3) The most expensive option. Hire a beekeeper, who may have to tear away boards, etc. and charge an arm & a leg.

As a beekeeper which made and sold a video when I first came on BEE-L on "Bee Removal" 

Having a beekeeper come out an do a proper removal (if possible) is the best solution in most cases. 

Dealing with an honest bee removal beekeeper like Joe W. to me is the best solution and cost is based on time involved. Both Joe and I have spoke on being called in to do a removal after the home owner or pest control operator has pumped poison into a bee nest. I do not do removals today and have not for many years but did years ago (when the tape was made)

expense:
If the home owner can find a hobby beekeeper willing to help free of charge today I feel they are fortunate. Hobby meaning does not need to make a profit. To be honest most are not as knowledgeable as those beekeepers doing bee removal for a living.

The beekeeper in the business of bee removal has to charge. To not charge is not very smart and a sure way for the bee removal business to fail.

As a longtime business owner I understand pricing.

The usual call usually goes like this:
There are bees in the eve of a second floor roof. We do not want to *kill* the bees or pay to have the bees removed. 

If the beekeeper is interested in removing the bees then he/she is reasonable. If not and you see the conversation is a waste of time and the person wants a price over the phone you price high enough you can cover hidden problems and the conversation ends.

The other option is to simply hang up the phone which is not good business practice.

I admit myself and my help have perhaps forgot more about bees than most beekeepers and pest control people in our area but solving the 
areas bee problems is not my problem. My people can point home owners to people which can solve their problems correctly.

Swarm pickup is usually free of charge. Home removal has charges involved as usually involves mileage and usually several trips to the residence.

I have never had a home owner call back later and say the beekeeper I refered  overcharged. A few said they thought the pricing *at first* was too high until they saw the work and time involved.

As Joe will back me up on crowds show up to watch many times when a bee removal is going on.

bob 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2