From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2017 08:06:31 -0500
We have always placed high confidence in the results because of high participation rates. However, this was not the case in the spring 2016 survey. While many beekeepers submitted their wintering results, relatively few responses came from commercial beekeepers. This was unfortunate because the final mortality rate was significantly higher than the anecdotal reports received from a few commercial operators.

This topic has been discussed quite in depth several times in several commercial circles, as well as many hobby clubs.

The reality to commercials and many others is "why"  why should we waste our time? In decades of data collection there has been zero benefit in the eyes of the beekeepers.

So  for the joy of lets say 30 minutes time, someone like Dennis group, gets up and claims the sky is falling, or we worry the tax guys going to try to match up numbers (highly fluctuating numbers)  in order to fill out a form (which we hate paperwork by our very nature)  In order to put numbers down  that in the end seem to make ZERO sense and serve of no benefit.

Such as winter loss numbers,  without corresponding data on spring increase,  it’s a nonsensical number.  Means nothing.

For example this season,  my local winter was a huge loss, and yet here we are 4 months later,  and every dang one of us is out of woodenware.  Begging each other for spares.

For guys who hate paperwork,  and are always pressed for time,  your going to have to come up with an incentive to increase participation.  Right now,  the incentives are non existent.   We see the stick,  but the carrot is out of sight.  You can make it a "law"  but that doesn’t work,  check BS for a thread about the USDA guys who "threaten to come out" if you don't do the survey.

Many have participated in the BIP program for the free virus test,  but even that has lost its appeal lately.  While most will gladly help any researcher that ask,  blanket surveys are pretty much going to be ignored.

Heck here in IL  your required to be registered as a beekeeper also,  but the vast majority are not and never will be.

So the challenge is  find the incentive!

Charles