From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:32:54 -0500
> What makes us different? I’m thinkin’ that we may well be the agents of our own demise.

That's what the Honey Standard of Identity is about. Good honey is not filtered; good honey crystallizes. In order to be a legitimate varietal honey, the pollen needs to be left in.

I think there is a resurgence of interest in local honey, and the people who buy it want the pollen for its value in ameliorating allergies. Most small producers simply haven't got any way to filter the pollen out, to their credit.

Unfortunately, the market for quality is limited. Some people buy pure maple syrup, no matter the cost. Some buy cheap pancake syrup. Some will pay $20 for 8 oz of honey, some want it for $3 a pound. We can supply both markets, I suppose.

plb