From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:13:05 -0400
Jerry:

I'm from a different era.  It used to be that if a debate such as this
occurred, the journal editor would provide the first authors a copy of the
critique, ask the first authors to respond, and then publish both  comments
together.  ... It will take us some time to properly address  all of the
issues, and then to get it published - remember, it  took them several months
to prepare and get their critiques published.

Me:

I would like to say that I have always had immense respect for Jerry and the work he has been doing. It bothered me that many researchers seemed hell bent on picking apart his work, but we all realize that this is the scientific method. Most researchers do this to themselves, as much as to others. We try to find the tiniest hole in the work because all the credibility can leak out of one tiny hole. Jerry has continued to be scientific in his approach, and he and his colleagues have helped greatly to advance our understanding of proteomics in particular and bee health in general. Ultimately, our understanding is a jigsaw puzzle with a few pieces fitted in but most of it permanently missing.

PLB