From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:37:18 -0400
This message was originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to the
BEE-L
list  at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove quoting the entirety
of previously
posted material.

----------------- Original message (ID=A310ECFB) (61 lines)
-------------------
From: "Karen Oland" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
Subject: RE: Post office?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:26:52 -0400

This is an old rumour. Answer from the USPS, directly:

"At 07/26/2001 10:25 AM we wrote - Thank you for visiting our web site.  We
appreciate your concerns.  However, the shipment of live animals and
honeybees will be processed in the same manner in which we have always
offered. The Postal Service has four major commercial airlines it may use
for the shipment of live animals. With regards to honeybees, as stated in
our Domestic Mail Manual, Section C022.37, Bees are acceptable in the
continental surface mail when shipped under federal and state regulations to
ensure that they are free of disease.  Packages of honeybees must bear
special handling postage, except those sent at a First-Class Mail rate.
Only queen honeybees may be shipped via air transportation.  Each queen
honeybee shipped via air transportation may be accompanied by up to 8
attendant honeybees."

Any and all guarantees are apparently still by the USPS and are those stated
on their web pages (do a search on bees).