Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:29:25 GMT+0200
 Richard Drutchas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If a smaller cell size discourages varroa how come the africanized bees
with its smaller cells cant handle the mites?

From what I have read, the so called africanized bee is actually just
an african bee as the hybrids don't function very well. Experiments
have shown that the impact of varroa mites on african bees is
negligible. That's why the african bee still exists in feral forms
all over whereas the europeam bee does not where it occurred as it
was wiped out.

The resistence of A.m.scutellata to varroa is about the same as
A.cerana to varroa.

Keep well

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       "Opinions expressed in this post may be those
15 Park Road         of Pritz, my cat, who knows a lot about
Grahamstown          catfood."
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

In general, generalisations are bad.
But don't worry BEEEEEE happy.