From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:06:14 -0500
The problem with all arguments that deal with "protection" is where you
put the fence. I ran into this argument when I was active in the organic
movement. Then it was to commit to only eat Maine grown produce to
protect our local farms. There is nothing inherently wrong with this
until you start thinking of just what you do eat and Maine is not the
best place to grow oranges. I did not want to live the rest of my life
on a diet of potatoes and rutabagas.

To see the folly of fences, look at the US. One of the reasons it is
successful is that there are no border guards between states. Produce
can be grown in one area and shipped to another with no added penalty,
so the most efficient producer can supply a large market. When you
consider that back in the good old days of less efficient farms and
distribution, the cost of food for an average family was about half of
what they made. Now it is about one third for poor families and much
less for those better off (between $500 to $1,500 per month depending on
the amount of Cape Cod Jalapeņo-Cheddar Potato chips purchased). Open
borders do affect local industry because companies move. But that has
been happening since the founding of our country. Protectionism has been
shown to hurt the economy long term.

Allen's comment on government as the problem is correct. Takes the issue
of "sustainability". It implies that we need to do things to either keep
from running out or maintain the company. The Free Market does that by
its nature. Why sustain  horse drawn carriages (sustainable) when oil
can be used (not-sustainable) more efficiently and tremendously elevate
everyones standard of living.

The issue then becomes, "But we will run out". The Market steps in there
also, since new technologies supplant the missing material. That is
taking place in the energy field now. When oil hits a certain price,
alternate energy producers become cost competitive. Companies invest in
them and costs come down further, like solar panels.

A famous bet was made about just this many years ago. The bet was that
we were running out of raw materials and the future cost would be much
higher. The bet was lost because costs for raw materials are actually
much less now. Had government stepped in, the cost would have been
greater. Remember when government stepped in to freeze gas prices? Long
lines at the pump and little gas.

I have a jaundiced eye about all these buzz words like sustainability
because they generally are looking to government to impose controls on
us that do not work and make the problem worse. Allen noted this on the
effect of closed borders on Alberta beekeepers. Here in Maine, the
Canada-US border closed to commercial blueberry pollinators not because
of Varroa (even though that was the supposed reason)  but protectionism
for local Canadian pollinators. Our Varroa had no problem crossing
illegally into Canada and are there now, but the border is still closed.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine