Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:00:30 PDT
Faith Andrews Bedford <[log in to unmask]> asked for comments on using all shallow sized equipment as a back saving measure.

Here in Southern Oregon, many of us have gone to 8 frame boxes for several reasons.  The bees seem to do well in them under the conditions we have here.  More of them fit on the truck for  pollination.  They are 2 frames lighter, and those are the heaviest  frames (the 2 furthest out) in terms of back stress.

Contributing to the decision to use this combination of equipment is the pollination standard of 8 frames of bees for a minimum size of a pollinating hive and the generally low honey flow/production of this area.  A colony '1 1/2 stories' is effectivly 12 frames of bees, exceeding the minimum standard for pollination strength.  2 deep supers will hold more than the average 'surplus' honey in this area.

 Of the 12-15  or so beekeepers in the area that do commercial pollination, with from 100 to 1500 colonies each, I believe only 2 are using 10 frame equipment at this time.  Those that use 8 frame equipment use a deep brood chamber and then either a second deep (to simplify equipment problems) or a western. (Dadant medium depth)  Honey supers may be either size, depending mostly on what the  beekeeper has on hand to use.

Down side?  More swarming preasure in the 8 frame equipment sometimes, slightly more cost  on a 'per-frame' basis (8 frame wood is usually the same price as 10), more pieces of equipment for the same honey crop.  They ( 8 frame ) also tip over a bit easier if you do end up stacking them UP some.

In my humble opinion, while there would be a weight advantage, the shallow depth would seem to be to much lost space (in terms of  working comb) with the bee space, top bar and bottom bar between boxes.  A good compromise seems to be western depth equipment and plastic frames, with thinner top and bottom bars and a consequent gain in usable comb area.  The choice between 10 frame or 8 frame equipment seems to be as much local conditions as personal preference.

My thought for some time now (especially when moving honey filled boxes) is why not all 8 frame westerns?  Hmm.  Lets see, about 10% more in equipment costs per hive, all the same size boxes (but more of them!)......   Hmm.  Easier to lift, easier to get the bees out of.  Hmm.

Dennis Morefield
Sideline Beekeeper, Oregon, USA