From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 09:17:07 -0700
>When looking at colonies of bees, especially in an apiary setting it may
be a fool's errand to look for genetic effects as well, especially if these
are skewed or swamped by excessive noise and stochastic effects.

Add to that the effects of colonies containing multiple and different
patrilines of workers.  This would certainly add to the noise.

I'm always astounded by the differences in growth between a number of
colonies all headed by sister queens within the same yard.  I have no idea
as to what proportion of that variability is due to genetics, and what
proportion to environment or random factors.

>However, theempirical evidence on mite immigration is very robust, which
means thatjust because we can't explain something at the moment, doesn't
mean that it doesn't happen.

> It also doesn't mean it does!!!
>
> >Keep in mind My goal is not to be argumentive,

To me, "arguing" does not have a negative connotation, so long as the point
is to further our knowledge and education.

Keep in mind that if a colony in late summer harbors only a few hundred
mites, that immigration of 50 mites would be a big deal.  And if those 50
mites had time to go through two more reproductive cycles, and even bigger
deal!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA