From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:33:41 -0700
I always recommend packages for new beekeepers, even knowing that a nuc will
provide better growth and development opportunities during the season.  The
reasons follow:

Newbies have to care for their packages from day one

They learn how to manipulate the bees in the package (pouring them out and
shaking a bit too)

They experience queen cage introduction firsthand

When they fail to feed as required, the results are immediate, reinforcing
all those classroom hours of preparation

               They experience the joy of new comb being built and can
relate their feeding as it relates to comb development

               They learn that this is not rocket science but biology and
things are not always black and white

               We like to encourage two packages, so when one is in distress
they learn to rob peter to help paul, and learn from the results of those
manipulations

And finally, they learn that a package purchased at the right time and cared
for properly, can make an outstanding honey crop, (ie "in the first year",
wherever that comes from)

Jim Smith

Klamath Basin Beekeepers

Northern California and Southern Oregon