From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 21:29:06 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/98 1:10:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

 <>

    You got bad advice. When you use foundation, always use ten frames. Some
beekeepers use nine frames with drawn comb, which I can't recommend in the
brood chamber either, but it isn't quite as bad a problem. If you do use nine
frames, after the comb is drawn, be careful to space them, or use frame
spacers. The outside frame should have a little more space between it and the
wall.  Ten frames in the brood chamber will save a lot of burr comb, and give
the queen one more comb to fill in the spring, before the bees think of
swarming.

 <<Next question:  should I remove this "extra" comb when I open my hives
 tomorrow? >>

   YES, unless you want your foundation chewed up.  ASAP.

Dave, (Dog Tired) in South Carolina

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm