From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:49:54 +0100
I don't know if there is such a great difference between results from Europe
and from the USA on thymol use. It may just be that because over here we've
had to manage resistant varroa for longer than in The States (I believe)
that several different approaches to varroa control have been tried across
the continent. When control levels using, for example, raw thymol or
thymol-based products are above say, 60-70% that's a good basis to build
that treatment into an IPM strategy and may be acceptable - as one treatment
of at least two - by many beekeepers. With improved formulations the mite
control levels are higher.
There's a whole array of home-concocted essential oil and organic acid
formulations and recipes to chose from (unofficially) which can give
variable results but may still be helpful if used successfully in
conjunction with another method(s). There are few reliable, researched and
commercially-produced  treatments based on organic acids or essential oils
such as thymol however. Apart from Apiguard there is one other thymol
product, Apilife Var registered in Italy and another, Thymovar, registered
in Switzerland.
Our formulation, Apiguard has been trialled in many countries (climate
variables noted) with reasonable results and is the only such product
accepted by the regulatory authorities and registered as a veterinary
medicine across Europe. Even so, with the formulation optimised as far as we
believe possible, there is some variability in its effect as the efficacy
depends to some extent on climate and on the behaviour of the individual bee
colony towards the preparation. This applies to all essential oil and
organic acid treatments but we've tried to minimise the variability with
Apiguard. Results using this treatment can be very good but neither
Apiguard, nor any other similar treatment can be regarded as another Apistan
in terms of high efficacy on all occasions. Relatively little work has been
done on Apiguard in North America but from what we've seen to date it
compares well to our European experience.

Thyme will tell?

Max

 Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited