From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:52:48 -0700
Hi All,

I'm fresh from returning from speaking at an ecological beekeeping
conference, where I was one of the "scientific," rather than
"idealistic" speakers.  I went to lengths to explain that commercial
beekeepers were not monsters who enslaved their bees in sweatshops.  I
dealt with comments such as that instrumental insemination was "rape"
of a queen.

Clearly, there is a wide range of perspectives on beekeeping!

I agree with Brian as to progress being made on the small breeding
front.  Progress is also slowly being made toward sustainability in
agriculture in general.  I also agree that the hitting with the same
old hammer isn't working.

I speak to many commercial beekeepers.  I agree with Pete that they
are generally experimental, and open to change if it is cost
effective.

Our current collapses will likely shake out some operators.  But there
are others who are thriving.  It is easy to recognize them at
conferences--they are the ones paying attention!

The good thing about tough times, is that enough pain eventually gives
one the motivation to evaluate the way they do things.  The industry
is in a lot of pain.  It appears that we are not yet out of the woods
with CCD or whatever is causing collapses.  I am seeing beekeepers
rise to the occasion, and I think that we will eventually come out
better for the experience.

Randy Oliver