From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:57:28 -0500
> I for one have had enough.  Is too!  Is not!  This published source says,
> "Is too!"  This published source says. "Is not!"  Personally, "Is too!" or
> "Is not!" hasn't swayed me one way or another, and frankly whether it is
> or it isn't won't impact how I keep bees one way or another.

Interesting.  In my life as a commercial beekeeper, the theories of how bees
find and communicate their food sources have always been in the back of my
mind when working bees.  This topic is very central--more central than many
we see here--to Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology.  Someof these ideas were
very useful, too when using abandonment to clear supers, open feeding, and
also to locate hives.

Moreover, the idea if bee language is fascinating to the public, and those
of us who run exhibits in public places need to know whether we are
informing the public correctly, or relating a fascinating hypothesis when we
point out dancing bees in an observation hive.  Many beekeepers are not even
aware that ther are credible arguements against the hypothesis.

> Both staunch parties have written (and I quote), "Case closed!"  And both
> staunch parties have written that this is a controversy that just seems to
> have no end.  Neither the pro nor the con camp have been swayed.

I cannot really say much about the manners and attitudes displayed by some
of some of the advocates, but for the many of us in the middle, trying to
understand all the observations, speculations, proofs and disproofs, the
debate-- where it has been a debate and not a mud-wrestle -- has turned up
or revealed new sides to some pretty interesting concepts, not to mention
the useful references.

> Hint: To put an end to this endless debate, STOP POSTING ABOUT IT!!!

I hope that people do continue to discuss this, but in a more tolerant and
good-himoured way.

> I'd rather spend my time reading about something that will impact my
> beekeeping.

Sorry.  I realise that you have to read *everything*, but most of us are
able to delete, and even killfile.

This should IMO, impact everyone's beekeeping.

Thanks for being there.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *