From:
"n.hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:23:14 -0400
>     placed on a farm where there is an apple orchard.  The hives are about
>     50 yards from the nearest trees.

We've kept bees in our family orchard for close to 20 years, and in my
rotation as family beekeeper (4 years-same bees) the hives are about 50
feet from the nearest apple tree
(they have a great view during apple blossom time to remind them why
they're there!)
     1)  There are guidelines that the certified sprayers (only 2 in our
family are qualified) follow and they are careful. I don't know the
specific sprays, but they would probably have a different names in your
part of the world. Needless to say this is a very scary area and should be
entered into with great care, many of the farmers from my youth are gone
now. They didn't think they needed the protective gear.
     2)  My father is careful to spray when my girls are safely in the hive
(before the sun hits the front door) or when there would be very few out.
This usually means morning rather than night. It's a matter of being aware
of where they are and arranging the spraylines to avoid having any spray
directed at the hives.(thinking about wind too.)

I'm not an expert but I hope this helps.

Nancy Hamilton
[log in to unmask]               "It is not enough to have a good mind.
New Brunswick, Canada                   The main thing is to use it well"
                                                        -Ren=E9 Descartes