From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:45:02 -0400
Maryam Henein: "I speak French and beeks have told me directly that they
are seeing hives overflowing with bees and that they are increasingly doing
better. if you don't speak directly to them then it's all hearsay/"

Yes, I suppose so, but then what you have called “empirical proof” is
hearsay as well from where I’m sitting.  You have talked to some
beekeepers, and Bob has his sources, but where’s the stuff that could be
published in a peer review journal, or even ABJ?  That’s the kind of stuff
that makes the case for me.  It just seems that you are so eager for what
you are saying to be true that you don’t feel you have to get the hard data
to really prove it, or look at other possible explanations for why this
might be happening.  If there weren’t, as Jim has pointed out over and over
again, compelling reasons to use these systemic pesticides, we could just
call up the precautionary principle and leave it at that, but there are, at
least in the minds of the farmers who use them. And it’s not just greed,
although there is an element of that in almost everything we do in the name
of making a living isn’t there?

Respectfully,
Steve Noble