Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 14:54:51 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
hi randy,

i'm glad to hear you are doing these experiments.

we started 25 packages on hsc (5 frames) last spring, and then used foundationless to expand from there.  with the exception of (2) single deeps (from splits), all have drawn up enough for 2-3 deep boxes (including the 5 frames hsc).  all told, we went into winter with 20 colonies, and have lost the 5 weakest...the rest are doing well.

spent some time talking to max (who manufactures hsc) at the organic conference (great guy).  although he recommends using hsc instead of regular frames, we see them as a regression tool.  one of the obvious differences between hsc and sc comb, is the spacing.  in sc comb, you have a much denser population.  in hsc, the cell walls are thick, so that the density is much closer to that of 5.4 comb...this may be an important factor for population size/density, thermodynamics, queen laying patterns, etc.

did you start with 10 of hsc and 10 control?

we did feed dry sugar in winter on the top bars (we did not harvest any honey).  the hives we lost never touched the sugar, and started with smaller clusters.  one theory i have is that there simply wasn't enough metabolism going on to create enough moisture to process the sugar.  the rest of the colonies seem to be having no problems taking dry sugar.

deknow

-- randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 We were working pretty fast, but I believe that all 10 control
colonies are now toast, and that 5 HSC colonies were still surviving.
I will soon check mites.

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2