From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 20:31:53 -0400
On Thu, 2 May 1996, Joel Govostes wrote:

> I have a plant ID question for the botanists in the group -- Here in
> central NY the grass is growing up well & trees budding out, maples
> blooming heavily.  No dandelions here yet BUT lots of similar (smaller)
> yellow flowers which the bees are working well for pollen and nectar.
> Anyone have an idea what these flowers are called?  They grow along
> roadsides, in sunny spots, and along the sunny side of buildings.  It's a
> slightly different (perhaps less "bright") shade of yellow than dandelion,
> with smaller diameter, but otherwise very close in shape and structure.
> (And no bladelike dandelion-type leaves near ground under blossom.)  These
> are always the first wildflowers we see on the ground in spring.

Sounds like colts foot,(Tussilago farfara) Take a look at an unopened
flower bud and you will understand the name.>

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b