From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 23:38:48 -0400
John Lewis wrote:

>I plan to mke my own hives.
>
>2. Any problems with the use of treated timber for hive boxes?

I'm not sure what timber is "treated" with in Fiji, but, if it's done the
same way as in the States, there's arsenic involved. If you can find a
product info sheet on it, you'll discover that it's against manufacturers'
recommendations to burn it, since toxic chemicals are released in the
process.

One of my very first prolonged online debates was with a very cordial
fellow from New Zealand who did not share my hesitancy in using
arsenic-treated wood to define raised beds for garden construction. In this
context, as in that one, I'd tend to err on the side of caution. I wouldn't
want arsenic residues in my honey any more than in my carrots.

In fact, since my carrots are consumed only within the family, while I may
want to offer my honey for sale, I think I'd be more likely to use
arsenic-treated wood in my garden than in my hives. A couple of newspaper
aticles about honey containing traces of arsenic -- however minute -- would
go a long way toward depressing demand, I should think.

Greg

Greg Hankins                       Mt. Gilead, NC